Thursday, January 12, 2017

The Early Days of the School


My search for any form of visuals of the school campus, led me to the Church Park convent in Chennai, recently.
Here, I was given a xerox copy of an article which appeared in a school magazine - on the school's history.
I reproduce the note -

The nuns had to face trials of every kind; however with Government aid, the present premises was purchased and the school moved to Pudupet in 1917.
During the period - 1911 - 1917, the Education department was very favourably impressed with the results ad recoded in its Inspection Reports the zeal and selfless service shown by the nuns in their noble work.
In 1924, and again in 1933 additional classrooms were put up to accommodate the increasing numbers.
The poor children who attend school gets  daily meal and receive clothing thrice a year'

Is it possible to meet people today whose parents may have studied in the 1911-1920s era at St Anthony's?
Can their sharing of stories help build a story of the early years of the school?
I will be happy to get some leads.

The photo, a bad copy posted here is of the students who attended the popular Secretaryial Course run on the school campus.
One can locate tiled as well as Madras Terrace buildings. And a nice garden too. Where was the small gate with creepers above it located?

2 comments:

  1. I studied in At. Anthony's Anglo Indian High school from 1953to1959.Iam a medical professional practicing in New Delhi. My name then was SHAKUNTALA RAMACHANDRAN.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And now I am Shakuntala Mani. Our Mother Superior was an IRISH NUN. Very Very Strict Person . But Of course she led the school very very efficiently. I Loved and will always love my school. No matter How old I am.

    ReplyDelete